[time-nuts] WWVB PPS clock pulse ?

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Mar 28 22:54:42 UTC 2011

On 3/28/2011 9:46 AM, Lenny Story wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there an accepted form for the PPS clock pulses that are produced
> by the various time equipment in use today ?

Short answer -- No.

Examples:
HP GPSDOs like 3801A and 3816A have a positive-going square pulse that
is 10's of microseconds long. From the 3801 manual, "1 PPS Output
Characteristics
Jitter of leading edge: < 200 nanoseconds between pulses.
Accumulated time error: < 7 microseconds per day unlocked, for
24 hours, after one day of stabilization and 2 days of locked operation
with a fixed antenna location.
Waveform: Pulse width 10 to 50 microseconds.
Time Accuracy: < 1 microsecond (Locked to GPS)
Connector: DB­25 (J3)"

I just looked at the PPS from my 3816A and it is about 3V into 50 ohms
and a bit over 20 uS long.

The T-bolt manual says 10 uS wide and can be configured either positive
or negative pulse.

Looking at the M12 receiver manual, looks like a 6-7 mS pulse.