[time-nuts] Parts Selection

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 31 07:10:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:07:32 -0400
"Bob Camp" <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Done it in the before

Yes. I regularly solder 0.5mm and 0.63mm pitch stuff by hand at work.

> Done it in the basement / last 2 years - no.

No. I take all the stuff i want to solder to work and do it there.
Although i have equipment at home that would allow me to get everything
soldered with a reasonable confidence, the equipment at work allows me
to get it working for sure. And being able to check the solder points
under a microscope is a nice thing, before you fry something because
of a short that you havent seen. :-)

We have a reflow oven at work as well, but we hardly ever use it,
as we get better results by hand than with the oven.

> Set up to do it in the basement

Yes, but not well, see above.
Ok, i have to relativate here, i'm not well equipped in reference
to a professional lab. For a hobbist, i have quite good stuff.

> Would I buy one

Yes

> Would actually do it in a reasonable amount of time

500 pins? That's probably a day or two for me. Depending on the layout
and the exact mix of components.

				Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin