[time-nuts] Darn you people....

Luis Cupido cupido at mail.ua.pt
Tue May 3 17:14:30 UTC 2011

Bob,

You must be aware that the VE2ZAZ GPSDO does not lock the 10MHz phase to
the phase of the 1pps. It is a frequency counter which uses the
frequency error to correct the 10MHz VCXO. So it is a frequency locked
loop FLL.

By definition on a PLL you will have the phase error being used to
compensate the 10MHz VCXO
On a FLL a frequency error is required to compensate the 10MHzVCXO

While having a permanent very very slow OCXO trend (drift or aging)
a PLL(order 2) will exhibit a constant phase error while the frequency
is right. With an FLL it will have a constant frequency error.

Furthermore the frequency counting resolution is 16 seconds, so
the ZAZ gpsdo won't lock better than 0.0625Hz.
A PLL scheme, thunderbolt, the old Brook Shera's, the 10KHz James
Miller's, or my reflock (I or II) will get you always on the ballpark.

This PLL/FLL aspect is a subtle difference that has absolutely no
expression whatsoever for radio-ham applications both TX and RX on HF to
microwaves etc. application to which it was targeted and serve very well.

But you will surely start to see these small aspects when you step into
the next level of timenutness !!!
Apparently you have both feet there... looking at sub Hz you're infected
that's a fact ;-)

Luis Cupido.
ct1dmk.