[time-nuts] Overheard from NASA

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:25:37 UTC 2011

Overheard from a senior NASA research metrologist:

"The only reason we're doing it is because we *can* (improving clock
accuracy, said in the context of the aluminum clock).  We can already time
so accurately, just as an example, that if we launched a spacecraft today
toward Sirius we could predict its location when the craft arrived many
thousands of years from now, to within a thousand miles or so."

That's not a precise quote but it is a close paraphrase.

Heck, I thought that was why time nuts did it, anyway.

"Because it's there."
George Mallory, 1924