[time-nuts] Tek 2252 scope as an TI counter (pt 2)

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Tue May 17 05:35:46 UTC 2011

A few months ago I mentioned that I was able to use my Tek 2252 scope as a Time
interval counter.

Yesterday I wrote an EZ GPIB script (thanks to the author of this useful
software !) to collect data via the GPIB port and after three runs alternately
feeding 5 and 10 Mhz signals in to the "start" and "stop" ports via a T
connector with un equal length cables the performance appears to be quite good
with the standard deviation of the time interval readings being slightly less
than 10 ps for each run.    This is several times better than my HP 5370B.

While this unit is not as versatile as real counter and has a number of
limitations, (ie. the readings are taken at a fixed interval of approx 0.8
seconds) the raw performance appears to be quite good.   If anyone would like
more details feel free to contact me off list.

Regards
Mark Spencer