[time-nuts] Sidereal timekeeping

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 15:09:21 UTC 2011

On 5/17/11 7:01 AM, Jean-Louis Oneto wrote:
> I realized that there was lot of way to avoid this [pulldown] problem,
> but as I said, it was a long time ago (around 1976...), I was young and
> inexperimented, and I just tried once on an almost broken 5 FF (~$1)
> wristwatch, then I decided that the software approach would be better
> for me.
> I used a fine-grained handheld sharpening stone very carefully and just
> a few light touchs were enough (um, rather too much!).

a bit of jeweler's rouge embedded on the end of a pencil eraser or
wooden stick and a steady hand.

1000 grit lapping paper might be even better, because you wouldn't have
to worry about the grit remaining on the quartz.

You've got a pretty big move.. one part in 365, right?  It's not like
moving a 10 MHz crystal up by 1000 Hz.