[time-nuts] Am I missing something?

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 03:11:09 UTC 2011

List,

Wrote: Guys, I gotta ask, what does this have to do with time keeping?   Am I missing something?

Most definitely.  In fact, I believe several things. It is the broadening of one’s mind that then allows one to better solve a problem(s) of interest.  The current label used is “out of the box”.

This is why institutions of higher learning require subjects like humanities and classical music appreciation and other such courses.

Yes, one could take nothing but science courses and graduate in two years instead of four.  But the real world has found out that that doesn’t produce educated people that need to think to the levels of creativity needed for a robust society.

A few examples.  How it works is still unknown but the military discovered that military band people had a knack for being skillful in solving intercepted cryptology messages in WWII.  Also some scientists working on the development of the atom bomb at Los Alamos would sometimes be playing Brahms or Beethoven piano pieces at 2 AM in the morning to aid their thinking.  And currently many of the most talented Pro football players are also talented musicians.

Wrote: May this thread die now please.

Perhaps.  But those that don’t learn and remember history are doomed to repeat it.

There are long, long, discourses posted on stuff that I will never understand, use, or even care about. Then there is the PITA of top posting.  For some reason this list is the absolute worst in this respect of any I’ve ever seen. That’s what the delete key is for.  But other postings have been a treasure chest of practical useful information.  Including many of the OT postings.

And about W.U. time signals.

When I worked at Hallicrafters in the la 60’s they made precision ovenized 1 MHz standards for W.U.

What was unique is that they had a little synchronous motor and gear assembly to turn a piston capacitor to compensate for long term drift. No tech needed.  No WWV comparison needed.  An “out of the box” simple solution.

Regards,

Perrier