[time-nuts] smallest rubidium

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Mon May 23 15:55:09 UTC 2011

I also top post...

Consider the Symmetricom model X72 Rb. I can fit 2 each in my shirt pocket.
Some variants are programmable and spec'd for 12 VDC operation.

I did have problems with one unit that had microphonics when used
with a DEMI/N5AC microwave LO synthesizer in a DEMI 10 GHz transverter.

For a 20 MHz reference used in a HF transceiver I would consider a ISO
Temp TC/VCXO at 10 MHz
and double it with suitable filtering. Provide a pot to easily "net" it
as well
as a additional 10/20 MHz output to feed the counter.
The ISOTemps have been going for 30-50$, so it is a cost effective
solution and
it may be stable enough for any HF operation. If used with a transverter,
you will still have to fight that LO drift. Unless it is synchronized
with the 10/20 MHz reference.

Stan, W1LE    Cape Cod    FN41sr