[time-nuts] IEEE Spectrum Magazine interviews one of our own...

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Wed May 25 02:00:15 UTC 2011

<http://www.mmsend10.com/link.cfm?r=127900431&sid=13700921&m=1365693&u=IEEEN
Y&s=http://spectrum.ieee.org/podcast/at-work/innovation/does-anybody-really-
know-what-time-it-is/?utm_source=techalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051
911> Podcast: When Will We Get Serious About the Leap Second?

We all go along with the agreement to add a 366th day to the calendar every
fourth year. But few people outside of computer scientists and managers of
computer chip foundries-whose operation depends on fraction-of-a-second
precision-have even heard of the leap second. Host Steven Cherry talks with
Poul-Henning Kamp, an independent software developer who maintains the
principal network time servers for his home nation of Denmark. Among the
many questions Kamp addresses is why a standard way of dealing with this
tiny but crucial adjustment in time has yet to be enacted.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM

Tipp City, OH

EM79