[time-nuts] IEEE Spectrum Magazine interviews one of our own...

Christopher Quarksnow cquarksnow at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:30:05 UTC 2011

About Steven Cherry, here is a famous example of system outage due to leap
seconds :
http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/news_leap_second_causing_new_years_rac_node_crashes.htm

Also Google Android is plagued with an issue visible on phones like the
Motorola Droid or HTC EVO 4G, where the time displayed is GPS instead of
UTC, as possibly someone did not know of leap seconds :
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5485

Concerning leap seconds, I spoke to Dr Daniel Gambis last month (he is the
one who decides to insert them), and he suggested that despite astronomers
having to incur costly retooling, it seems to him that ITU under U.S.
pressure might do away with leap seconds soon. He pointed me to the
following article :
www.agi.com/downloads/resources/user-resources/downloads/whitepapers/DebateOverUTCandLeapSeconds.pdf

As far as leap years every 4 years, that does not apply to multiples of 400
like year 2000.

Just my 2¢

Christopher Quarksnow