[time-nuts] Strange temperature peak

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 20:58:02 UTC 2011

>Does anybody have a possible explanation for this ?

Short answer is the spike is caused by the temperature sensor.
This is very typical on all Tbolts at certain temperatures,
which depend on the temperature's rate of change and direction.
You can change LH's temperature display resolution to hide the small spikes
by using "G T S 1000 enter".

More details:
The Tbolt uses a special method to get high resolution data from its
temperature sensor by combining three things.
The first is the sensor's standard data output which is used for the most
significant bits. This gives about 1 deg resolution.
2nd an internal register is used for the middle bits which gives resolution
of 0.009 deg
and then the Tbolt's firmware averages the internal register data to get the
LS bits, with resolution (not accuracy) below 0.001 deg.

The return Time constant you see after the jump is the Tbolt's  averager
working on the Middle bits.
All and all it works pretty good MOST of the time, except at major transfer
points.
The  high resolution data interpretation does not work on the "e" revision
sensor parts, so some of the later Tbolts show temp jumps of about 1 deg

As far as I know, Lady Heather does "special averaging" of the temperature
data at two different times,
neither which apply to your case, so what you see is what the Tbolt is
sending out.
LH will average the temperature data IF the display filter is turned on with
"F D 100 Enter", which yours is not, and
the LH's temperature controller has a special routine that "cuts" those
spikes out (does not average them in) so that they do not upset LH's S/W
temperature control PID loop .

ws

*****************

[time-nuts] Strange temperature peak

I left my Thunderbolt running with Lady Heather started. Returning after a
few hours in the room,
which is at a constant temperature (underground, no heating, no air
conditioning), I found the
following plot on the Lady Heather screen :

http://www.sdradio.eu/images/ladyheather.gif

which shows a narrow and pronounced peak in the temperature.

Does anybody have a possible explanation for this ?

TNX

73  Alberto  I2PHD