[time-nuts] Monitoring the Rapco 1804M - how antenna changes affect the unit

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:34:09 UTC 2011

Assuming it's using a timing-optimized receiver, the lack of a clear
view to the sky is probably the biggest problem.  Once they have a
valid almanac, they will normally select the satellites with the
highest elevation angles - and if you have an obstructed view that
might well include several that are not visible.  Obviously, the less
channels on the receiver, the bigger an issue this is - on top of
this, the timing receivers tend to be engineered to favor selectivity
over sensitivity (the idea being that the gain is in the antenna and
you can select it to match the cable losses).

I have no idea if the firmware in the Rapco will support the 8-channel
UT+ - but the fact that the monitoring software seems to have spaces
for up to 8 SVs gives me some hope it might (or possibly there is some
later FW that does).  This could be worth trying.

Regards,

Pete Bell