[time-nuts] Precisione GPS based led clock

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:02:58 UTC 2011

> Dear  all
> I am an amateur astronomer working in the field of minor planet
> occultation.
> To arrange a precise reference  time I am looking for a 1/100 sec LED
> dispaly clock GPS based. (LED is usefull for night vision)
> My idea is to use a "ebay" used master clock such as  " ThunderBolt GPS
> disciplined clock" to drive a timecode display. Particulary I wish to
> realize a "PIC" based LED clock to display hour min sec and use the 10
> MHz reference to arrange an  1/10 and 1/100 sec disaply.  Can anyone
> help me in finding schemes or any more flexible idea?
> thanks

A small Netbook PC locked to a good local NTP server should be able to
achieve that.  Your local NTP server can be locked to GPS (ideally) or to
the Internet.

GPS devices:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

The PC's screen refresh rate would be marginal for 1/00s, though.  Perhaps
1/20s is more realistic.

If 1/10s is good enough, there are applications like Emerald Time for your
iPad/iPhone:

  http://emeraldsequoia.com/et/index.html

Are you actually trying to timestamp a video recording or light-level
reading?  Or time pressing a button?

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu