[time-nuts] Precisione GPS based led clock

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 18:44:58 UTC 2011

It would be easy to serial shift through an SPI interface. At 1MHz, which is conservative for SPI, you would be done in a few uS, which would be more than adequate even for a mS clock.

Since my Thunderbolt Monitor already decodes the Trimble TSIP protocol, it would be easy to modify the software to drive an array of 7 segment LED displays through SPI instead of the LCD. A divider running from the 10MHz would generate a mS interrupt which would update the display. The offset caused by the slow serial data would have to be compensated, or maybe the 1PPS can be fed to the processor as well for synchronization.

It seems quite feasible within the constraints of the small processor used by the TBolt Monitor.

Now that I think of it, the VFD display I have been using with my TBolt Monitor is considerably faster than the LCD display and might be fast enough, at least for 100th of a second.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...