[time-nuts] Off topic (was - Re: Serial to Excel utility

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 02:37:38 UTC 2011

On 11/7/11 3:48 PM, Thomas A Frank wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
  (this is an argument I have with senior microwave
>> engineers wanting to do their own sysadmin work.. we've got dozens
>> of people who can do sysadmin work, we have very few who can design
>> 94GHz circuits..
>

> A word of advice - if your senior microwave engineers want to do
> their own sysadmin work, it is because the people you have doing that
> work are not doing it to the satisfaction of the microwave engineers.

Not necessarily.  It might be that what sysadmin services are available
are not sufficiently well advertised.  The institutional services may
have improved, but old habits die hard.

> It is a rare company indeed where the sysadmins are told that they
> are to do what the engineers request, without fighting, whining, or
> being passive aggressive about it.  Those are the sorts of companies
> one wants to work for.

Sometimes there are cost-control aspects to this.  Short term
optimization is nothing new (otherwise we'd not have centuries old
aphorisms about pennies, pounds and wisdom).  Sysadmin is often viewed
as pure cost, not bringing in any revenue. (so is emptying the trash
cans, of course)