[time-nuts] FE-5680A Rb lamp subject to wearout?

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Mon Nov 14 22:25:15 UTC 2011

I've decided I can't pass up a rubidium standard at this price, having seen the reports here that the units work. Just one question: it was my impression that the rubidium in such a device gets somehow used up over time. Can anyone hazard a guess as to how long this might keep running?  The FE-5680A data sheet at http://www.freqelec.com/pdf/rfs_12pg.pdf seems to be silent on the subject of wearout.

Should I expect that this sort of repair procedure will soon be necessary? http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/05%29_GPS_Timing/Efratom/Efratom_FRS_Lamp_assembly_repair.pdf