[time-nuts] iPhone keeping better time?

Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill colby at astro.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 16 20:26:38 UTC 2011

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:35:01 -0800
> From: Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] iPhone keeping better time?
>
> I doubt we will ever see good time keeping on an IOS type device.  The
> problem is battery life.  Good time keeping requires a  stable local
> oscillator of some kind that must remain powered up 24x7.   But to get
> the long battery life they must power off everything they possibly
> can.  No mater how far technology advances it will always require less
> power to not ruin an oscillator then to run one.
>
> I doubt Apple would run NTP in an iPhone.  They don't want to multi
> task the CPU and there is no stable  local oscillator to be
> disciplined.

Ugh.  Yes, iOS devices sip power by turning as much of itself off whenever it can.  However, iOS is still running a version of the XNU kernel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

That kernel *does* multitask.  The multitasking you're referring to is what is allowed by apps that are run at the high layers of the system.  There are system daemons that do run, though ntpd is not one of them, probably for the exact reasons you mention about saving on battery usage.

The times you see on phone network based iOS devices come from the cell phone time keeping (on older devices) and then GPS (on later devices with actual GPS parts) (i.e. if the time is off, it could be the cell provider's fault).

See also:
[1] http://code.google.com/p/ios-ntp/wiki/WhatsItAllAbout
[2] http://www.quora.com/Will-iOS-5-Support-NTP-so-that-the-iPad-can-keep-time

Under iOS 5, you can tell an iOS device to automatically set its time and it appears to use a very simple timed to do it, see the second reference.