[time-nuts] Symmetricom 2700 Time Source

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:31:16 UTC 2011

I haven't used this specific unit, but I have used CDMA based timing
devices - the long term stability is obviously not an issue, since
it's ultimately locked to GPS - the short term stability varies
depending on how many different pilots you can track in your location.
If it's only one, the result is going to be slightly worse than using
a GPS directly - if you can pick up many pilots with good quality,
then the results can actually be better than using a single local GPS,
although obviously you are subject to far more external factors.

The other thing is more of a conceptual issue - that box appears to be
intended to be used as a BITS for a telecom network so you will likely
find that the default settings are not the ones that a timenut would
use - the main concern for telecoms people (especially in wireline
service) is to make sure that you never get enough clock error to
result in a frameslip - this tends to result in them using quite short
integration periods for the frequency adjustment and frequent
oscillator tweaks - so if you find it seems to have a lot of jitter,
make sure to check the settings.

Regards,

Pete Bell