[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies for time nuts circuitry

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Nov 22 22:17:24 UTC 2011

The shunt regulator also serves to isolate load current fluctuations
from the main supply, since it makes it appear as a constant
resistance, current, or power load, depending on the design. This can
eliminate cross-talk between various circuitry.

For example, I just made one for my new 5065A LED clock design. It
makes 4 V for the display, and is able to absorb the nasty 90 mA to
250 mA local range caused by the LED numeric and scan load, but the
steps are virtually invisible to the +5 V supply - it looks like
about a 4 ohm resistive load into about 4 V source.

Ed