[time-nuts] T-bolt and LPRO marriage

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 04:59:21 UTC 2011

MB asked (off line):

> I have wanted to find out how to marry one of my Tbolts to one of my LPRO
> Rb oscillators for a long time.
> Some say doing this is a waste of time.

All depends what you plan to do with it.
Changing the Tbolt's internal Osc to an external LPRO Rb Osc will increase
the Tbolt's 10MHz output noise at taus below a couple hundred seconds.
Past around 500 seconds, It can give you a freq reference that is as useful
and accurate as some Cs.

In any case, it is not a problem at all to set up a Tbolt to discipline (or
test) most anything that runs at 10.000 MHz.
The Tbolt is by far the best and most universal GPS unit I know of.
One of the tricks is to use "an extended time constant" type setup.
Without that, the TC setting is limited to about 1000 seconds, which is not
nearly long enough for a Rb.
Using an "extended Time constant" you can discipline most anything whose
freq can be changed with an analog voltage,
and set the time constant from 1 sec to a year with any desired damping
factor. Works even on a Cs or Masers.
(The TBolt's antenna should have to have a good sky view so that it never
goes into Holdover)

You can find more info on past post
OR
see John's site for help on how to do the TBolt's Hardware at:
<http://www.ke5fx.com/tbolt.htm>

and Didier's Wiki pages for notes on setting up the Tbolt at:
<http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php>
under "LPRO disciplining with Thunderbolt".

Have fun,
ws
Subject: T-bolt and LPRO marriage