[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Thu Nov 24 17:39:07 UTC 2011

Frederick wrote:

>Thanks for that information.  I had assumed that it was obtained
>from the cell towers
>
>I was hoping that there would be a TOD output.  Still the device is
>very nice and useful as a frequency standard.

Symmetricom sold the TS2700 as a Stratum 1 source, so it is likely
that TOD information is available from the unit -- my point was just
that it does not seem to appear on the Craft output, which is used
for monitoring the 2700.

p.21 of the manual describes the T1 outputs:  "The Ensemble Timing
Generator provides the timing for the T1 timing signals available at
the Output Span A and B connectors in a framed, all-ones format,
which is selectable in either D4 or ESF framing. SSM is available
with ESF framing."

p.21 also describes the 10 MHz output:  "The Ensemble Timing
Generator provides the timing for the 10 MHz low-phase-noise timing
signal, available at the 10 MHz Output connector, which can be used
for local cellular frequency or testing purposes."  It seems clear
that Symmetricom does not consider the 10 MHz output to be the
TS2700's primary output.

Best regards,

Charles