[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Thu Nov 24 18:38:51 UTC 2011

On Nov 24, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> I did a little investigating, and it turns out that the TOD displayed in the BTMon windows is the local system time, NOT time received from the TS2700.  Apparently, the TS2700 does not send TOD on the Craft output.

Hi Charles,

When I first used BTMon, I wondered if that was the case.
However, reading more about the TL1 messages from the Craft
output, there are messages for date and time:

date:
This parameter is the current date in the 8-digit form yyyy-mm-dd, where yyyy is year, mm is month (01–12), and dd is day (01–31).

time:
This parameter is the current time in the 6-digit form hh-mm-ss where hh is hours (0–23), mm is minutes (0–59), and ss is seconds (0–59). The factory setting is GMT for local time.

Assuming your investigation is connect, then system time is used in BTMon windows, but it's also
documented to be present on the Craft output.

For my next investigation, I need to read a bit on RS-422/485 pinouts on a DE-9 connector. I think
I have a Maxim sample RS-485 transceiver I can use to look at data on the TOD output.
Also, once I know the pinout, I'll know where ground is and can look for a PPS on one of the other
pins.

If I don't get far there, then I was thinking about looking at the 2 Hz test point and seeing if
that's synchronized to a GPS PPS signal.

Thanks for information!

Kevin