[time-nuts] Clocking a PIC16F628A from a Rubidium Standard

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Nov 25 12:13:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 02:02:04 -0700
Kevin Rosenberg <kevin at rosenberg.net> wrote:

> In this case, the use of the protection diode and the 1 ma limit
> comes directly from the manufacturer Atmel's App Note AVR182 [1].
> That said, I'm cautious even when the manufacturer in an App Note
> says it's okay, but the use falls outside of the datasheet
> specifications.

Don't trust a datasheet blindly. Always apply common sense and
a bit of caution. Especially when it comes to Atmel.

In the past 2 years, i've discovered 3 silicon bugs in Atmel chips
and two "bugs" in their documentation. Reporting the silicon bugs
resulted in being completely ignored and the documentation bugs
were answered with (literally) "it's a silicon thing", completely
disregarding the fact that following the documentation will cause
hard to trace bugs in the software (that's how i discovered them
in the first place).

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?