[time-nuts] Fw: Clocking a PIC16F628A from a Rubidium Standard

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 12:31:59 UTC 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>
To: Orin Eman <orin.eman at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 26 November 2011, 12:21
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Clocking a PIC16F628A from a Rubidium Standard

Hi,
Absolute max I understand, but even at 10% of Abs max you have 2mA, a significant current and more than enough to power a pic at lower clock speeds. A 100k resistor in series with the US mains of 115V would not exceed 10% of abs max. I'd be happy to run a non-critical devices at 75% of Abs max.

You need to read the voltage spec in conjunction with the current. If there is no current limiting the voltage must be kept 0.3V below / above the supply rails to prevent the diodes conducting. If the current is limited to less than 20mA the voltage will be clamped to within 0.3V of the rails without damage.

Robert G8RPI