[time-nuts] Clocking a PIC16F628A from a Rubidium Standard

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Nov 28 07:06:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:08:41 -0800
"Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

> > Come on, folks. never hook anything directly to the power line. The
> > source is just too stiff. Use an opto. I used fiber optic isolation with
> > my big DC power supply.
> > Don
>
> I used to agree, until actually tried it myself. Now this is how
> I do my picPET 60 Hz data logging:
>
> Simple 60 Hz AC Mains Cycle Detector
> http://leapsecond.com/pages/ac-detect/

Yes, there is nothing that speaks against connecting something
directly to mains if you either ensure that the circuit is properly
isolated or that the current is limited.

But, i recomend to use two resistors in series to ensure that even
if one fails, that the other prevents a possibly lethal hazard.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?