[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV using TBolt-Tic tester

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Oct 7 19:53:10 UTC 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 3:32 PM, "John Miles" <jmiles at pop.net> wrote:

> Intuitively, I don't believe a GPSDO can outperform an HP 5071A-era clock
> over periods greater than a few hours.  But it may be reasonable to
> benchmark 5061A-class standards with a good GPSDO setup.   We really need
> some more data from trials lasting multiple weeks.

Some test like these are on my list for this winter.  I am planning to look at a Z3801A versus a couple of 5061 class units: one with a high stability tube that I think is in very good condition, and another with an FTS replacement tube of probably typical surplus quality.  I can also add a TBolt into the mix.  I'm hoping to lash up multiple 5334 counters in TIC mode so I can do several comparisons simultaneously.

In an early test of the 004 tube vs. Z3801A over a week or so, I saw what looked like a floor in the 8e14 range.

John