[time-nuts] the care and feeding of LPRO's

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:11:57 UTC 2011

They are APC double conversion(online) UPSs. I ended up buying them
because my washing machine makes the lights in the basement flicker
when it runs so I didn't want that feeding through into my equipment.

I've looked into the ferroresonant regulators like the Sola MCR series
but they are pretty expensive.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 10/7/11 11:16 AM, Eric Garner wrote:
>>
>> fortunately, everything in the "lab"(basement) is on UPSs so in theory
>> the input voltages to the equipment should be pretty constant and I
>> was already planning on using a linear supply.
>>

> What kind of UPS?  A static inverter?  Most UPSes just feed the line through
> until it goes out of range, and then it switches (within 8-10 ms) to the
> output of the inverter.
>
> And even when on inverter, the output voltage regulation isn't all that hot,
> unless you've got a special inverter.  A 5-10% variation in voltage from an
> inverter/UPS wouldn't be surprising.. (why should they try to do better..
> the goal is to keep the equipment on, not serve as a voltage regulator)

--Eric