[time-nuts] [volt-nuts] Safe power-up. was (Solartron 7075 ...)

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 11:31:51 UTC 2011

Hmmm.  99% of the time I just plug things in and see what happens.  That's what
they were designed to do.  If something pops I fix it from there.  If a fuse
keeps blowing I use the light bulb in series trick.

On older tube gear I do "softly" bring it up with the variable autotransformer
(Variac, Powerstat), but that's only really because of the capacitors.

Just my 2 cents.  I do fix a lot of stuff, though, and don't like to waste time
futzing when I don't have to.  Weak parts get replaced.  If they were likely to
fail enough to do so when I just plug something in, they need replacing anyway.