[time-nuts] Common View Tbolt-Tic

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 16:09:00 UTC 2011

Ed

I think I have confused things by doing two completely different things.

One is how best to make a better Tbolt GPSDO,
the other is how use a Tbolt to make a remote OSC tester.
To do the first, the osc needs to be disciplined slowly,
to do the second, best to do it using the disable mode with no disciplining.

Correct, when the Tbolt is in the disabled mode, using either with it's own
internal or an external Osc, It is just running the osc as a standard OCXO.
But what I'm taking advantage of is that the Tbolt is also recording data
showing what the difference is between that Osc and the GPS signal.
This is the same function any Tic has.
The Tic tester does not change the Osc, it just measures it by comparing the
osc against some other reference.

When the Tbolt is in the disciplined mode, what it does is change the osc by
removing any long term difference between the Osc and the GPS.
This is not so good for comparing oscillators, because ideally they are now
being made equal in the long term.

And correct, when in the TPLL mode, the TBolt 10MHz output has Nothing to do
with it's Osc, It is just showing the GPS noise.
While this allows one to test what the received GPS noise is by using an
external reference and ADEV tester,
it has little or no information about the osc being used and therefore
(mostly) useless for directly comparing the TBolt Osc to the GPS, which is
what is needed to measure common view differences.

Two different functions, two different goals, two different procedures and
two different uses of the Tbolt.
and two different Fun projects
ws