[time-nuts] SLIP vs Ethernet for NTP

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Sun Oct 23 10:41:42 UTC 2011

Just off-hand I would think that at best serial might perform as well as
ethernet, But could be (much) worse.
First off, modern ethernet implementations are not really CDMA. they run
full duplex into buffered switches.
I would think that serialization delay and packet processing variations
at serial line speeds could be worse than equivalent delays at 100 or
1000 Mbit. I think also that the implementation of multiple slip or ppp
terminations on the single tcp/ip stack of your S2 machine might
introduce lots of packet process ordering jitter etc. It has been many
years since this was a mainstream application on a host. So who knows
what shape the OS's are in in regards to real-time performance on serial
line pools.
Having said all that, Assuming you have the serial line hardware
available. It would certainly be an interesting experiment!
Regards,
Dale J. Robertson