[time-nuts] SLIP vs Ethernet for NTP

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 23 13:09:09 UTC 2011

On 10/23/2011 02:37 PM, Tijd Dingen wrote:
> I seriously doubt that piping it through slip is going to help. You still get to deal with slip + tcp protocol stack. I would expect gbit ethernet with possibly some fifo/buffering setting adjusted gets you better performance that RS232 (with or without slip). Just assemble some raw frames on the source side and go.

The danger of Ethernet is that it has high capacity and a interconnect
friendly interface. Thus, you might feel inclined to toss data over it
carlessly causing packet delays and you can hook it into a switch and
get delays and packet losses there.

If you where using it like an RS-232 only, i.e. bidirectional between
two devices, and make sure you think about traffic congestion and packet
timing, then you can get higher performance and better timing using
Ethernet.

Don't blame Ethernet, blame the sloppy use.

Ethernet never was CDMA, it was CMDA/CD which is quite different.

Cheers,
Magnus