[time-nuts] Neutrino timing

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 25 16:39:28 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 10:48 AM, mike cook wrote:
> Le 25/10/2011 03:51, Rick Thomas a écrit :
>>
>> When I first heard of this, I had a thought for a 4th explanation:
>>
>> It seems likely, given everything we know, that neutrinos have a
>> very-small, but non-zero mass. Part of the point of this experiment
>> was to try to get a better idea of what what mass is. We've always
>> assumed it was very small, non-zero and positive. What happens if it's
>> very-small, non-zero, and negative?
>>
>> Rick
> I like this one. Or what about an imaginary mass. in this case v would
> always be above c.

The traditional formula would not make a speed difference due to the
sign of the mass, but imaginary mass would. That would be a bit of
extrapolation out of a single formula. Then again, so much of the
quantum world is a mix of read and imaginary numbers, so why not an odd
mass case. That would however change a lot, but it would indeed keep the
theoretical physics occupied quite a bit. That's the definition of the
experimental physics work-description... find out things for the
theorists to figure out... :)

Cheers,
Magnus