[time-nuts] Fwd: Neutrino timing

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:50:23 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas A Frank <ka2cdk at cox.net>
Date: Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Neutrino timing
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com>

> Perhaps take advantage of one of the numerous AM radio stations in the midwest that happen to be about half way between?

Lets way we could build a 5,000 foot tower, nearly a mile high.   Such
a tower would have a direct line of sight out to only about 90 miles.
Yes it could transmit to greater distance but that is because the
radio wave bends, either ground waves or by refraction in the
atmosphere.  Either way the path length is not predictable.  And worse
there is likely some multi path too.

That is one of my projects, I'm slowly building tools to receive WWVB
(60KHz) and compare to "true" time.   The goal is to learn something
about the atmosphere from how the propagation delay changes.  But I
already know the delay changes and is "noisy"
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California