[time-nuts] Allan deviation vs standard deviation

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Sep 8 00:04:25 UTC 2011

Hi Rick,

In my experience the 53132 is not good for ADEV measurements below 100s. It
 is just way too noisy.

You can try longer measurement gate and averaging times, but theoretically
the SD value should be similar for 100s or 1000s SD measurements if what
you are  measuring is actually the internal noise of the counter (this is what
I  suspect).

You can capture the serial output of the 53132A and use Ulrich Bangerts'
free Plotter utility to calculate SD and ADEV from that dataset. Very easy to
 do, but as I said not useful for anything but mediocre oscillators due to
the high internal noise of that counter.

One more tip: if you measure a 10MHz signal, then use a divide by 2 (flip
flop etc) to get to 5MHz, and scale the measurement by 2x using the Math
setting, this will give you one more significant digit on the 53132A due to a
weird internal limitation of that counter.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/7/2011 16:17:18 Pacific Daylight Time,