[time-nuts] GPS Antenna

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:03:16 UTC 2011

2011/9/12 Miguel Gonçalves <mail at miguelgoncalves.com>:..
> oncore# /var/tmp/sats.sh
> 8 satellites:        0
> 7 satellites:        0
> 6 satellites:      870
> 5 satellites:     7941
> 4 satellites:     7313
> 3 satellites:     6385
> 2 satellites:      575
> 1 satellites:        0
>
> The machine has been running for 6 hours and it has been seeing a good
> number of satellites for most of the time.
>
> Do you think I should buy an external antenna .....

It looks like your current antenna can only see about 1/2 of the sky.
 The reason to replace it is so you can see the entire sky.  the
Panasonic would be ideal because it has enough gain to drive a long
cable.   THere  is no resin to replace the antenna unless you intend
to  place it in a better location.   A higher gain at the same
location will not give you a better view of the sky.

Any outdoor antenna needs to be pointed or have a dome shape so that
whatever falls on it rolls off.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California