[time-nuts] OCXO and Aging

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Sep 14 13:22:40 UTC 2011

Paul,

The info they show is generally from the manual or paperwork that comes with
the OCXO when new.

If they are used OCXO's, then they will be more stable over time than a new
one, off the shelf, as far as drift, or they should be. The OCXO acts
similar to any heated device, and resistors function similar to this also.
When first used, they will drift from spec more than they do after they have
ran for so long in time. The factory generally does a burn in to stabilize
them, but it still takes some time after that to completely settle down to
where calibration isn't needed as often. There's generally a curve for each
model that will show the drift over time.

The main thing in using these, even though they're supposed to be insulated,
is to mount them where temperature fluctuations are minimal. Also, some are
better insulated than others, like the HP units, which are encased in foam
inside a can.

A case in point is the action of artifact resistance standards. These are
the oil filled, and similar to the Leeds & Northrup type. After use for a
long time, the need for calibration, which is really just re-measuring the
value, can be as high as 5 to 10 years, but when new, they should be checked
every one to two years for drift.