[time-nuts] National Geodetic Survey Bench Mark

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Sep 15 00:45:55 UTC 2011

A bit OT but there are way more markers out there than USGS. But getting the official coordinates is another story. I've seen DMA (defense mapping agency), various county markers, and I think a US Coast guard marker. I found one in Nevada close to 100 years old. (Photographed it, but I can't publish it since it is near a plane crash site.)

I can see how visiting these could become a hobby. There is that "confluence" group that takes photographs where integer lat and lon meet. And of course geocachers.