[time-nuts] OCXO and Aging

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Sep 15 08:05:55 UTC 2011

> Wonderful plots. Thanks for posting them. Can you tell us a little about
> your test setup? I think the group would enjoy hearing how a long-term
> experiment like this is done.

I'm using a HP-5334B running off a Z3801A.  The data is collected via a
Prologix GPIB-USB gizmo.

I'm collecting data every 5 minutes.

If you ask for the frequency with a gate time of 60 seconds, you get an extra
digit or 2 in the answer.  This setup is just barely good enough to see
interesting quirks in that crystal.

Back when I was getting started, I remember being able to see the frequency
change a bit when I grabbed the can with my fingers.  My "lab" is not air
conditioned so the temperature varies up to 10 F during the day.

I see occasional glitches in the data.  They only happen once a day or so.  I
don't know where they are coming from.  If they look bad enough, I edit them
out by hand.