[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Sep 20 01:00:43 UTC 2011

Don Latham wrote:
> I have to ask again. Is there anything in the 10811 that would be
> degraded by mineral oil? No condensation, even temperature distribution
> throughout, or at least small gradients. The only downside I see is that
> there might be some components that might be chemically degraded.
>
> Don

The piston trimmer is extremely intolerant of any oil.
In the early days of the 10811, they encountered a bad aging
problem that we traced back to the piston trimmer.  It
turned out that the trimmer was lubricated with some oil
that slowly migrated.  The fix was to go to a different trimmer
that didn't have oil lubrication.

Rick