[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Sep 20 01:21:30 UTC 2011

One last thing regarding oil-filling. My previous comment was made
picturing oil inside the oscillator block only - not outside, or
between the outer parts - if there is a resistance wire heater (I
think it's heated with Qs only on the 10811) it is held together with
various tapes and adhesives that could soften or dissolve. Also, the
insulation would not insulate very well of saturated with oil, and
could possibly soften or break down somehow. I would not recommend
dunking the whole thing in a vat of oil.

And one final, final note: If oil is somehow effectively contained in
the oscillator block, then a void (bubble) of some sort, or an
expansion facility or vent would be needed to relieve the pressure
changes during warmup.  Otherwise, when started up, the expanding oil
would have to either leak out, or deform (or damage) something. This
would be equivalent to dramatically increasing barometric pressure,
and certainly effect the oscillator frequency.

Ed