[time-nuts] House subcommittee Democrats Urge Finding a Way for LightSquared and GPS Users to Co-Exist

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Tue Sep 20 19:32:39 UTC 2011

That is precisely why the questions are important. Somehow, Falcone was
able to morph a low-impact satellite service into this monster with 40,000
powerful L-Band transmitters blanketing the country.

And he could not have done it without powerful help. So who and how
matters, a lot.

As I said, we've lost LORAN-A. If GPS becomes unusable, standards of time
interval will go back to roughly WW II. WWVB may be OK if you are really
patient and have a local Rb or Cs, but the days of quick and accurate
setting of local standards will be over.

And note, that LightSquared is liklely to put more "services" in urban
areas, where many of us live. Hence the interferance will be most severe
whare the most users live.

-John