[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 and similar types better in the real world Part I

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Sep 21 22:30:52 UTC 2011

Perry Sandeen wrote:
> GM List,
>..............................................................................The
> ovens are proportionally controlled.  On start-up all ovens, proportional or not,
> will have over-shoot. Some more, some less.  An inescapable fact of life.

Imagine that the set point is variable, and can be set below the desired
temperature.  Then imagine that the set point can approach the desired
temperature more closely as it gets closer to the desired temperature.

... And you will have discovered (100 years late) the PID controller.

PID controllers do not have to overshoot the desired temperature.  It is
not an inescapable fact of life.  30 years ago I was designing PID controllers,
with a little microprocessor magic, that could quickly arrive at the set point
temperature and never, I repeat, never, exceed that temperature.  Someone's
internal organs would have become toast if it did.

-Chuck Harris