[time-nuts] SR620 Floor Noise

Martyn Smith martyn at ptsyst.com
Thu Sep 22 14:38:37 UTC 2011

Hello,

My measurement technique is from Stanford's own application note.

The two 10 MHz are fed to Ch A and B.  The measurement is a time interval
gated at 1 kHz from the SR620's ref out.

So we make 1000 measurements per second.

So the one shot 25 ps SR620 spec is reduced by square root of 1000.  So the
theoretical floor noise is 0.8 ps per measurement.

I also have plenty of 3048A phase noise test sets and I also use them to
make ADEV measurements.

The answer I've received has confirmed what I thought, so thank you for all
the replies.

I really want to build the high resolution counter projects that have been
mentioned on time nuts and did even buy the pcb's.

But just haven't got the time to build them.

Martyn