[time-nuts] Fast than light neutrino

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:15:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Bill Dailey <docdailey at gmail.com> wrote:

> The article is actually pretty fascinating regarding how it was all done.
>  Light can't go through rock (very far), neither can most other particles
> (some farther than others). Neutrinos can pass through earth and the sun
> unimpeded.  It is neat apparently they set up a fiber optic link to test the
> timing between the 2 locations (modeled the correct
> Length).

Not quite. We used a traditional common view time transfer setup, using two
Septentrio PolaRx2e receivers and two CS4000 Cesium clocks. Then the signals
had to be sent from the GPS receiver locations to the extraction at CERN and
to the cavern in Opera, and we did have to take care of fiber delays.

More details here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13409775/cern-cal.pdf
And for reference, the general paper here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897

Cheers,

Javier