[time-nuts] You can build a fountain from the things you find at home...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Sep 27 19:46:17 UTC 2011

In message <CAP6i9MmntLTia=XXUafbyrp+e3=koc1TRSEvL=g05emepQ4v-w at mail.gmail.com>
, brent evers writes:

>So at its most basic, I'm wondering what type of clock would make the
>most sense to consider - cesium fountain, or hydrogen maser?

Based on what I can gather, a fountain is probably easier to make work
than any of the other, from a pure _mechanical_ point of view.

The important detail to remember here, is that the people who have
built fountains so far, have all tried to get better performance
than very mature hydrogen masers and high performance cesiums.

If your goal is simply to make "something that works" you probably don't
need 4 separate shields, niobium surface etc.

That said, it's probably not a one weekend task.