[time-nuts] You can build a fountain from the things you find at home...

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Tue Sep 27 20:46:54 UTC 2011

> Boy I have to go back and check. I thought fountains used lasers and such
> to slow the atoms down.

That's a trap. "Optical molasses".

A fountain essentially makes a beam and probes it orthogonal to the beam,
where the Dopplar shifts are low. The beam basically makes all the atoms
go in a single direction w/ no cross track velocities.

Are we speaking to some gas fountain without optics
> much like a traditional CS standard?
> Paul
> WB8TSL

As to making one, I'd use stainless Conflat parts from eBay, used
commercial pumps, feedthroughs, fittings, etc.  You can spend a lot of
time trying to leak check home brew stuff.

FWIW,

-John