[time-nuts] GPS Interference Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:11:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Jason Rabel
<jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote:
> Please don't start a political discussion, I just have a SIMPLE TECHNICAL QUESTION that I'm hoping someone can answer (and I don't
> think it was discussed in the past).
>
> In all the stuff I've glanced over about L2, they talk about better filtering for GPS modules to eliminate the interference issue.
> Likewise they talk about potential replacement of existing hardware and such because of poor filtering that overlaps into other
> frequencies...
>
> My question is...
>
> To filter out the L2 signal, would an actual GPS receiver have to be replaced / modified?

In theory no. but practically most devices that use GPS have a
built-in antenna.  For example, your cell phone, How would you add a
filter to a cel phone.   I L2 really going to pay to replace every
Apple iPhone on Earth, and every automotive GPS system.

Yes one could in theory change out the antenna in sone kinds of GPSes
that have external antenna but those systems are in the minority
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California