[time-nuts] Improving performance of a GPS antenna...?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:20:03 UTC 2012

Maybe get some a wide tupperware dish and fill it with water and just
a little salt.  It may not be as portable but it would turn RF into
heat well enough.   The trick is to add sale until the water will just
conduct RF so you need an RF signal generator and a pair of metal
probes and a way to measure RF current

In all cases if you build this using any material, water, foam,
conductive paint or whatever you will need to have some way to measure
its effectiveness.    How to measure GPS multi path resistance?

Better and faster way to get good performance is to buy a 10 foot
section of 3/4" pipe and a pipe flange.  Place your GPS antenna on the
flange and then attach the pipe to the tallest thing around.  Then
there will be no reflectors that are above the antenna's horizon and
no multi path.

Surveyors need the special antenna because they work close to the
ground and can't choose a good antenna location.  You are not a
surveyor and can simply move the antenna.