[time-nuts] Improving performance of a GPS antenna...?

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 5 01:43:52 UTC 2012

Hi all,

While we're on this subject, I have a related question.

I recently bought one of those cone shaped Lucent GPS timing antennas from a
vendor in China. I'm using it for one of my GPS controlled clocks which
contains a 6 channel Oncore VP receiver and is on the end of about 15 feet
of RG58. I mounted the antenna on a small Al plate about 10 X 20 cm attached
to a balcony rail 3 stories from the ground with a clear view of about 75%
of the sky.

I would have expected that the receiver would see quite a few satellites, a
similar arrangement with a magnetic puck antenna regularly sees up to 6
birds. The Lucent however regularly only sees one. Could this be due to the
way it's mounted?  Could the baseplate have something to do with it?

Any advice would be welcome.

Morris