[time-nuts] NTP jitter with Linux

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 04:51:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:
> I built a small form factor PC using the Intel D525.
>>

>> http://ark.intel.com/products/49490/Intel-Atom-processor-D525-%281M-Cache-1_80-GHz%29

I did the same thing.  They work well and even if you have a "free"
quad core PC in a closet some place it is cost effective to toss the
thing in the trash and by a new computer with an Atom CPU.   The
reason is the price of electric power.  A large desktop PC, if you run
it 24x7 can add quite a bit to your utility bill.  After a year you
have paid for two Atoms  My Atom main board runs so cool there is no
cooling fan and it is still only just warm to the touch.   It is not
super fast but a 1.8GHz Atom is total overkill for running NTP

Get a flash drive, install the OS on that and run the little server
with no hard drive and no monitor, keyboard or mouse.

> If you look at the features (or lack thereof!), it lacks "turbo boost" and
> "enhanced Intel Speed Step technology". So you may not have to resort to
> using a uP if you don't want the PC clock to be a moving target. I was a bit
> surprised that the Atoms (at least to that generation) didn't play clock and
> core voltage games.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California